Here’s what Stage 4 Restrictions mean for Readings
It’s been a stressful and overwhelming time with Stage 4 Restrictions being rolled out in Melbourne. We’ve put together a brief explainer for what this means for Readings.
Can I still shop at Readings?
Yes! You can place an order online via our website at any time. Please note that as of September 2020, we are increasing our delivery charges within Australia to better cover our postage costs. You can find them all listed here. And please be patient with us if orders take longer than usual, as our warehouse and fulfillment staff manage social distancing, cleaning, and other additional Covid-safe measures in compliance with government directives.
You can also our shops to purchase items over the phone and have them mailed out to you. Our Carlton, Kids, Hawthorn, Malvern and St Kilda staff are available to give recommendations and take your orders over the phone from 10am-4pm, Monday to Saturday. Our Doncaster staff can do the same from 10am-4pm, Monday to Friday.
Unfortunately, due to the temporary closure of the State Library Victoria, our State Library shop is completely closed until further notice.
Please also note, Australia Post has advised customers to expect extra delays on Australia Post deliveries during Stage 4 restrictions, as many parcels are being redirected to processing/sorting facilities interstate and medical and PPE shipments are being given priority.
What if I want to pick up my order from a Readings shop?
The best and safest way to shop at Readings during Stage 4 restrictions is to have your purchase sent by post. From Monday 17 August, we are also offering contactless pick-up of purchases at select shops. Our Carlton, Kids, Hawthorn, Malvern and St Kilda shops are offering this service from 10am-4pm, Monday to Saturday, and our Doncaster shop from 10am-4pm, Monday to Friday.
This service is only for those who live within 5km of one of our shops, and we do still strongly encourage you to consider having the book sent by post or placing an online order instead.
How does contactless pick-up work?
We are asking customers to follow some steps to ensure we abide by the new government directives, and to keep everyone as safe as absolutely possible. We ask for your patience and understanding as we navigate this new way of doing things, and to follow the below directions carefully:
- You must phone ahead and pre-pay for your order over the phone, or email the shop with your order and your contact details, and wait for a staff member to call you back and take your payment details over the phone.
- You must live within 5km of the shop.
- When you arrive to pick up your order, it will be passed out to you in a basket or receptacle by one of our staff members, using a system that ensures there is no contact between staff and customers.
- We are unable to make any changes to your order once you arrive to pick it up, or assist with any other queries in person.
- Our shops are a collection point for pre-paid orders only. If you have a question about your order or need to speak to a bookseller, you must phone the shop, even if you are standing outside.
- This service is only available at our Carlton, Kids, Hawthorn, Malvern and St Kilda shops from 10am-4pm, Monday to Saturday, and at our Doncaster shop from 10am-4pm, Monday to Friday.
We apologise for any inconvenience, but it is imperative we take these steps and follow them strictly to keep our staff and customers safe.
How can I contact someone on a Sunday?
Staff will not be manning our phones on Sundays so you will need to email your enquiry, or wait until 10am on Monday. Shop emails can be found on individual shop pages, or if your question relates to a website order, please email email@example.com.
I need to return an item. How can I do that?
Our returns are suspended during Stage 4 restrictions, and our returns policy will resume once our shops can reopen in some capacity. If you need further information or clarification regarding a problem with an order, please call or email the relevant shop, or contact our online order customer service team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
What about online events at Readings? Are they still running?
Our wonderful online events program is still running. Browse what’s on offer here, and join us on Zoom!
You can also sign up to our enews, and follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to keep up to date with the latest releases and news.