The Readings Foundation
Established by Readings’ managing director Mark Rubbo in 2009, the Readings Foundation assists Victorian organisations that support the development of literacy, community integration and the arts.
The aims of the Foundation are to:
- Aid the work of organisations that respond to the needs of disadvantaged groups living in our community;
- Increase the community’s enjoyment of the word in all its forms, including screenwriting, music, theatre, art and the written word; and
- Honour the importance of creativity in community-driven work.
The Readings Foundation grant committee includes Readings managing director Mark Rubbo, author Helen Garner, former managing director of Publishers John Wiley Australia Peter Donoughue and Gerald Smith (Phase III Business Consulting), along with current Readings' staff members.
Grant recipients in 2018
The Readings Foundation has announced $184,692 worth of grants to support a range of projects and organisations within Victoria in 2018. This round of funding has a strong focus on organisations that are delivering literacy and education support to the most disadvantaged people in our community.
In 2018, the Readings Foundation received 59 applications and is pleased to award grants to the following 15 organisations…
- Ardoch Youth Foundation – $10,000
- Asylum Seeker Resource Centre – $14,550
- Banksia Gardens Community Services – $20,000
- Brotherhood of St Laurence – $5,000
- Carlton Neighbourhood Learning Centre – $8,040
- Church of All Nations – $20,000
- Jesuit Social Services – $15,000
- Kids Under Cover – $7,000
- Meadow Heights Education Centre – $14,102
- Reading Out of Poverty – $16,000
- The Smith Family – $10,000
- The Stella Prize – $5,000
- Wirrpanda Foundation – $10,000
- The Wheeler Centre – $20,000
- The Hope Prize – $10,000
You can read more about these organisations and their 2018 projects here.
Applying for a grant
The Readings Foundation grants funds annually, with applications opening in late September and closing in late October. Funding decisions are made by December, and funds are available in January.
To be eligible for a grant, your organisation must: be based in Victoria, or have activities based in Victoria; have Deductible Gift Recipient (Item 1) status with the Australian Tax Office, or; have an auspice organisation with this status.
Your organisation can apply for funding between $1,000 and $20,000, and proposals must address the aims of the Readings Foundation.
Past grant recipients
Here is a complete list of previous successful applicants for Readings Foundation grants.
- 2017 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2016 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2015 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2014 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2013 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2012 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2011 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2010 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
Making donations to the Readings Foundation
Readings donates 10% of its overall profit to the Readings Foundation each year, and crucial funds are also raised from donations by Readings customers.
You can make a donation to the Readings Foundation by using the online form below. All donations to the Readings Foundation over $2 are tax deductible.
Enquiries should be directed to the Grants Officer Leanne Hall at email@example.com.