Our children’s & YA top 10 bestsellers of the week
- Young Dark Emu by Bruce Pascoe
- Wilam: A Birrarung Story by Aunty Joy Murphy, Andrew Kelly and Lisa Kennedy
- Land of Fences by Mark Smith
- The Good Son by Pierre-Jacques Ober, Jules Ober and Felicity Coonan
- The Search for the Silver Witch (Polly and Buster, Book 3) by Sally Rippin
- The Peacock Detectives by Carly Nugent
- Hotdog! #6: Movie Time! by Anh Do
- Sick Bay by Nova Weetman
- Aurora Rising by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
- Peppa Pig: Peppa Loves Australia
Young Dark Emu by Bruce Pascoe is once again in the top spot of last week’s bestsellers for children and YA readers. This young readers' edition of the bestselling Dark Emu is a remarkable discussion of this continent’s history, pre-European colonisation. Mark Smith’s Land of Fences is third on the list – this thrilling finale to to the beloved series that began with Road to Winter follows Finn and Kas as they face their greatest challenge yet.
Middle fiction readers are also loving Nova Weetman’s Sick Bay, a beautifully engaging and emotional story about two young girls who meet in the school sick bay. Despite being complete opposites, they slowly become friends. Our reviewer Angela says, ‘[it] will resonate powerfully in the hearts and minds of readers.’ Read the full review here.
For non-fiction readers, The Good Son is the moving true account of a young soldier’s experiences in WWI, told through fascinating miniature scenes. It’s a unique and powerful way to approach discussions of complicated themes with youngsters.