A round-up of items from #authorsforasylum
We have been so impressed to see Australian authors come forward to raise funds for the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre (ASRC) as part of the ‘Authors for Asylum’ campaign on Twitter.
This campaign was started by author Zana Fraillon, who earlier this year won the inaugural Readings Young Adult Book Prize for her timely, gutsy and gorgeously story of a 10-year-old Rohingyar refugee born in a detention centre. Fraillon put signed and personalised copies of her book up for auction on Twitter, with the winning bidder to pay the donation directly to ASRC, and she called for other authors to do the same.
Fraillon told Books+Publishing she ‘was compelled to act after Fairfax Media revealed the Turnbull government’s decision to cut income and accommodation support for hundreds of asylum seekers currently living in our community’. Read more here.
Over the past week, a number of other authors have joined the campaign. Items up for auction can be tracked on Twitter under the #AuthorsforAsylum hashtag, and we’ve compiled a list of some of the offerings below. This is an incomplete list (because items can be added on Twitter at any time), but we think it showcases the wonderful range of options you’ll find to bid on!
Below are some of the items up for auction. To bid on an item, you should reply to the original tweets on Twitter or contact the authors directly.
- A one-hour writing workshop with Zana Fraillon in Melbourne (for all ages). Bid here.
- A signed and personalised hardback edition of The Bone Sparrow by Zana Fraillon. Bid here.
- A signed and personalised picture book set from Zana Fraillon. Both are now out of print. Bid here.
- Six signed and personalised copies of The Other Side of Summer by Emily Gale. Bid here.
- A one-hour book chat or writing workshop Kate Mildenhall in Melbourne. Bid here.
- A signed copy of The Gulf by Anna Spargo-Ryan, along with a one-hour Skype book chat and a story critique (5,000 words or less). Bid here.
- A one-hour book chat or writing workshop with Nova Weetman in Melbourne. Bid here.
- A signed set of The Road to Winter and Wilder Country by Mark Smith. Bid here.
- Four copies of The Way Back by Kylie Ladd, along with a book group visit in Melbourne. Bid here.
- A prize pack from Amie Kaufman that includes several signed books and a print. Bid here.
- Three copies of Introducing Teddy (two hardback, one paperback). All books are signed and personalised by author Jessica Walton and illustrator Dougal MacPherson. Bid here.
- A writing workshop or book chat about disability/LGBTIQ+ issues with Jessica Walton in Melbourne or Gippsland. Bid here.
- Six signed and personalised copies of Take Three Girls by Cath Crowley, Simmone Howell, and Fiona Wood. Bid here.
- Six signed and personalised copies of Dance with Me by Penny Harrison and Gwynneth Jones. Bid here.
- A signed and personalised copy of My Brother is a Beast by Damon Young and Peter Carnavas. Bid here.
- A signed copy of Joe Quinn Among the Rowdies by Rochelle Llewelyn Nicholls. Bid here.
- A signed black cover edition of Lick by Kylie Scott. Bid here.
- An annotated and personalised copy of This is Shyness by Leanne Hall. Bid here.
- Two signed copies of Hippy Days Arabian Night by Katherine Boland. Bid here.
- A signed set of of the Countdown to Danger books by Jack Heath. Bid here.
- An advice poem by Penni Russon, written in response to a query from you. Bid here.
- A signed set of the Territory series by Justin Woolley. Bid here.
- A signed set of the Alex Caine trilogy by Alan Baxter. Bid here.
- Signed copies of Please Don’t Leave Me Here and Dead in the Water by Tania Chandler. Bid here.
- A signed copy of Paladero: The City of Night Neverending by Steven Lochran. Bid here.
- A pitch assessment by Steven Lochran for a young adult or middle grade book, including a cover letter, synopsis and the first 3 chapters. Bid here.
- Signed and personalised copy of Valentine by Jodie McAlister, along with two book tie-in pins. Bid here.
- Signed copies of On The Shapes Bodies Will Take and Crying in the Car by Karen Andrews. Bid here.
- 10 signed hardback editions of Foreign Soil by Maxine Beneba Clarke, along with a one-hour VCE English session in Melbourne in 2018. Bid here.
- A signed copy of Things That Helped by Jessica Friedmann, and a story or essay critique. Bid here.
- Feedback on a book manuscript by Abigail Ulman, for a writer aged 30 and under. Bid here.
- A copy of the US edition of A Loving, Faithful Animal by Josephine Rowe, and a story critique (5,000 words or less). Bid here.
- Signed copies of Gaysia and Quarterly Essay 67 by Benjamin Law. Bid here.
- Signed copies of The Promise of Things by Ruth Quibell and The Art of Reading by Damon Young. Bid here.
- Signed copies of In the Quiet and Ache by Eliza Henry-Jones, and feedback on a piece of writing (10,000 words or less). Bid here.
- A signed copy of The Beast of Hushing Wood by Gabrielle Wang, along with a limited edition print of the cover’s illustration. Bid here.
- Three weird short story ideas from Jane Rawson. Bid here.
- ‘Her to Him’ – a signed literary sculpture by Matt Blackwood. Bid here.
- Feedback on 20 pages of poetry by Omar Sakr, and he will dedicate his next poem to you. Bid here.
- Signed copies of One Way or Another and Hexenhaus by Nikki McWatters. Bid here.
- A personalised behind-the-scenes tour of the State Library Victoria by Justine Hyde. Bid here.
- Two signed copies of No Just Lucky by Jamila Rizvi, along with a book group visit. Bid here.
- A footy themed pack of books, or a YA themed pack of books by Nicole Hayes. Bid here.
- Feedback on a piece of writing (10,000 words or less) by Angela Meyer. Bid here.
The #AuthorsforAsylum auction ends at 11pm today, Thursday 7 September. So get bidding!