The Readings Foundation
Established by Readings’ managing director Mark Rubbo in 2009, The Readings Foundation assists Victorian organisations that support the development of literacy, community integration and the arts.
The aims of the Foundation are to:
- Aid the work of organisations that respond to the needs of disadvantaged groups living in our community;
- Increase the community’s enjoyment of the word in all its forms, including screenwriting, music, theatre, art and the written word; and
- Honour the importance of creativity in community-driven work.
The Readings Foundation grant committee includes Readings managing director Mark Rubbo, author Helen Garner, former managing director of Publishers John Wiley Australia Peter Donoughue and Gerald Smith (Phase III Business Consulting), along with current and former Readings' staff members.
Grant Applications for 2016 are now open
Applications for The Readings Foundation Grants 2016 are now open.
Applications must be completed and lodged electronically by 5pm, Friday 30 October 2015.
You can download an application form for the 2016 Grant round as a word document by clicking on the link below:
Eligibility and exclusions
You can find an information sheet about applying for the 2016 Grant round here.
Here is a brief note about eligibility and exclusions:
- Grant applicants must be endorsed by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) for Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) ‘Item 1’ and will be required to provide a copy of this endorsement, or a letter from the ATO, and a Certificate of Incorporation at the time of application. (The Readings Foundation will also consider funding the project of an organisation in partnership with another organisation that does have DGR status. See here.)
- Grants are generally awarded for one year. The Readings Foundation is aware, however, that some proposed projects may not fall within this time frame. In this case, The Readings Foundation may consider funding projects for more than one year.
- The Readings Foundation is unable to support book publishing projects.
- The Trustees may consider awarding grants for projects outside Victoria. Applications for such projects will only be considered at the discretion of The Trustees and usually only in exceptional circumstances.
Past Grant Recipients
Before applying for a 2016 grant, we recommend you learn more about previous successful applicants for Readings Foundation grants.
- 2015 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2014 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2013 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2012 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2011 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
- 2010 Readings Foundation Grant Recipients
Readings donates 10% of its overall profit to The Readings Foundation each year, and crucial funds are also raised from donations by Readings customers.
You can make a donation to The Readings Foundation using the online form below. All donations to The Readings Foundation over $2 are tax deductible.
Enquiries should be directed to the Grants Officer Bronte Coates at firstname.lastname@example.org.