Position: Book Division Manager
Based: Carlton, Victoria
Status: Permanent Full Time
Readings is an independent retailer of books, music and film, with five shops operating in Melbourne, plus a lively website. Our shops have long been at the centre of the local literary scene, both as meeting places and via our exciting calendar of events, which showcases a range of in-conversations, panels, author signings, special in-store performances and book launches throughout the year.
We are seeking a new Book Division Manager who will be based at our flagship store in Carlton. This is the most senior buying role in the company, with responsibility for the Carlton book inventory, as well as the day-to-day management of the book buying process for the store.
As Book Division Manager for Readings you can expect:
- to join a team of passionate book sellers
- training, resources, support and ongoing professional development opportunities
- a company that values employee development
- a competitive base salary, plus profit related bonus
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the key duties of this role are:
- purchasing and maintenance of book inventory
- developing sales, purchasing and marketing strategies to maximise sales potential and achieve budgeted sales and margin targets
- monitoring inventory and purchases for all Carlton book buyers, providing training and guidance where necessary
- overseeing and directing the returns process
- monitoring inventory discrepancies and addressing shrinkage problems
- overseeing and directing the in-store merchandising
- advising and assisting with title selection for catalogues and other advertising features
- keeping abreast of current industry issues and future trends
- establishing and cultivating positive relationships within the industry to enhance the profitability and reputation of Readings
The role is expected to be full-time, 38 hours per week across 5 days.
The key selection criteria for this position are as follows:
- experience of book buying and range development
- extensive knowledge of the Australian and international publishing scene
- demonstrated ability to develop business opportunities through relationship building and entrepreneurial flair
- experience of working to targets and meeting deadlines
- a genuine commitment to excellent customer service
Demonstration of the following attributes will be an advantage:
- strategic thinker
- highly organised
- flexible and open-minded
- well developed customer service skills
- effective communication skills with a collaborative approach
- a confident personality who gains the respect of their peers
- proven ability to work as part of a team
- exceptional attention to detail
To apply, please provide your résumé and a covering letter describing your experience and responding to our selection criteria listed above, to Jan Lockwood, Human Resources Manager, via email at email@example.com. A full position description can be found here.
If you have questions about this role or the application process please contact Jan Lockwood by email or telephone on (03) 9810 0807.
Applications for this position will close on Monday 11th May 2015, unless filled prior to this date. The role is expected to start with effect from late June 2015.