The Readings Young Adult Book Prize
About the Readings Young Adult Book Prize
The Readings Young Adult Book Prize celebrates exciting emerging voices in Australian young adult literature. First and second published works of young adult fiction and memoir are eligible, and the Prize is awarded to the best new contribution to Australian young adult literature.
The Prize was established in 2016, and in 2017 the winner will receive prize money of $3000.
The Prize in 2017
Each year, a shortlist of six titles is selected by a revolving panel of Readings staff. 2017 judges include Angela Crocombe (Readings Kids), Natalie Platten (Readings Doncaster), Leanne Hall (Readings Kids) and Lian Hingee (Digital Marketing Manager). Guest Judge Lili Wilkinson will also join the panel to select a winner once the shortlist has been decided.
Lili Wilkinson is the author of nine books. She established insideadog.com.au, the Inky Awards and the Inkys Creative Reading Prize at the Centre for Youth Literature, State Library of Victoria. Lili has a PhD in Creative Writing from the University of Melbourne, and now spends most of her time reading and writing books for teenagers.
The 2017 shortlist will be announced in late May, with the winner to be decided by late July
Eligibility Guidelines for 2017
- The Readings Young Adult Book Prize is open to published works of young adult memoir and fiction.
- Young adult fiction may a novel, a novella, a verse novel or a collection of short stories by a single author.
- Young adult memoir may be original, or a young reader’s edition of an adult memoir.
- The author must be an Australian citizen or hold permanent residency at the time of entry.
- The book must be the author’s first or second published work of young adult fiction only. The author may have published books in other areas.
- Co-authored works will only be considered if all contributing authors fit our guidelines.
- Books published only in e-book form are not eligible to be entered.
- Self-published works are not eligible to be entered.
- Entries must be published in English.
- Authors must be living at the date of publication.
- To be eligible for the 2017 Prize, books must have been first published between Thursday 28 April 2016 and 27 April 2017.
- Authors who are employed by Readings during the judging period for each year are not eligible for the Prize. For the 2017 Prize round, this period is from Thursday 28 April 2016, through to Friday 28 July 2017.
- Authors who win the Readings Prize for Young Adult Fiction will no longer be eligible for this Prize in future years.
Entry Guidelines for 2017
There is no process for entering the Prize. The judging panel, comprised of experienced Readings’ staff, will decide on eligible titles and invite respective publishers to submit no more than seven reading copies of the nominated book for Prize consideration throughout the eligibility period.
Enquiries should be directed to the Prize Manager Bronte Coates at email@example.com