Orange Prize Shortlist 2012 Announced
The shortlist for this year’s Orange Prize for Fiction has been announced
The shortlist for this year’s Orange Prize for Fiction, which recognises excellence in women’s writing, has been announced in London. The longlist was narrowed down to a shortlist of six, including Anne Enright’s The Forgotten Waltz, and Ann Pratchett’s State of Wonder, who won the prize ten years ago for Bel Canto.
The Orange Prize was set up in 1996 to celebrate and promote fiction by women throughout the world. Previous winners include Téa Obreht for The Tiger’s Wife, Marilynne Robinson for Home, Zadie Smith for On Beauty and Lionel Shriver for We Need to Talk About Kevin.
The six shortlisted novels are:
- Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan
- The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright
- Painter of Silence by Georgina Harding
- The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
- Foreign Bodies by Cynthia Ozick
- State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
The winner of the £30,000 prize will be announced on May 30 2012. Read more here.